Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Stress and Trauma at the Park

So today I met up with some of my friends at the park to let our little children play at the playground. They were all having fun and going on the slides and doing really well, so I sat and watched Kaitlyn while sitting with Kylie. Alex showed up for a few minutes, and I had hoped he would stay and help supervise, which would have really been a great thing. Shortly after he left, Kaitlyn was running around and playing on the playground, which is awkwardly close to a very busy road. So she comes up by me on the sidewalk, then suddenly starts running out toward the street!! She ran between two cars so there is NO WAY anyone could have seen her coming. I am literally screaming at her to stop, as I had a baby on my lap and couldn't get up very quickly, but blessed be my friend Shay who jumped up and grabbed her just as a car passed!! I was in like a mild state of shock and it startled Kaitlyn pretty bad too!

So as I sit here shaking, thinking of the event, I make a note to myself.... Don't play at that park unless I have Alex, a large group of friends to help, or there is literally NO cars on the road. I suggest a different park for next play date. Not that it wasn't fun up to that point... just scary and I would feel better at a more secluded park where the odds of a kid getting hit by a car are MUCH slimmer.

Besides that, I'm now going to enjoy my weekly "scrapbook night" and hopefully make some progress that I can soon post something finished! :)

No comments: